Blackmore Park Mansion (since demolished)
The mansion at Blackmore Park had several incarnations. The original house was built in the sixteenth century but was replaced in 1867 with a Jacobean style mansion, This house then burned down in 1880 and was restored in 1883.
The new mansion had all the facilities of an up-to-date Victorian country house: 28 bedrooms, a nursery wing, three bathrooms and sixteen WCs, billiards room and chapel; it was lit by gas and had central heating. In the grounds were fishponds, a walled kitchen garden and glasshouses for grapes, peaches, cucumbers, tomatoes, melons and figs.
The estate was sold off in 1919 and the house in 1925, destroyed soon after by fire and not rebuilt. The present Blackmore House was built in the 1930s close to the site of the old mansion.